Starting off your pregnancy in the healthiest you!
Nutrition is very important when it comes to a healthy pregnancy. Here at GH Personal Trainer we help women reach the healthiest possible state of mind and body as they plan for baby! We work with you to establish healthy food and exercise habits. We also work with you through pregnancy and post to help you quickly lose the “baby fat.”
It is vital to know the critical growth times of the baby and what nutrients you need to increase during those times. Talking to a nutritionist is very beneficial for the most effective plan, but there are other ways to check your nutrient intake.
Check your food labels! Or log your food journal into a website like www.babyfit.com this site is much like the dailyplate but is run by www.sparkpeople.com. Babyfit allows you to log your food intake and then evaluates your needs, it tells you where you need to eat more or less, and making sure the baby is getting the right nutrients in the right places. It will even generate a grocery shopping list!
Here are some very important increases that need to be included in your diet:
- Protein intake needs to be between 75 to 100 grams per day. This affects the growth of the fetal tissue, your breast and uterine tissue and helps to increase your blood supply.
- Calcium requirement is around 1000 milligrams. Helping regulate fluids and build baby’s bones and tooth buds.
- Iron is needed to help increase your blood volume and prevent anemia. 27 milligrams is an ideal intake.
- Folic acid prevents spina bifida and 600-800 micrograms is needed daily to prevent that and other neural tube defects.
- Vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables promote metabolism, tooth and bone development and recovery. A minimum of 85 milligrams are needed per day.
Ask your pharmacist or doctor for the right prenatal vitamin! Even if you are eating right and varying your food choices it is very important to take the vitamin to ensure everything is absorbed. Remember the baby needs you to gain healthy weight!